1. It's hot out on the beach. Let's sit in the ___________.
A. shadow B. shade C. dark D. darkness
2. The ___________ of marriage is still popular despite the high divorce rate.
A. institution B. debate C. institute D. university
3. Outside the office window there is a fire escape ___________ the right.
A. on B. in C. at D. for
4. There was a shortage of water in the area two months ago __________ hot weather.
A. by the way B. in spite of C. because of D. by means of
5. I am sure the soup tastes _____________.
A. well B. deliciously C. goodly D. good
6. The French Revolution was a period of ___________, but produced some great literature.
A. chaos B. interest C. imagination D. success
7. The wheat has been ____________ down to good white flour.
A. assembled B. forbidden C. devoted D. ground
8. ___________ is needed to try again after a defeat.
A. Quarrel B. Folly C. Bravery D. Gallery
9. He did not like his daughter's boyfriend, and __________ her to meet him.
A. split B. deducted C. forbade D. mistrusted
10. It is wrong to __________ yourself only to amusement.
A. divorce B. devote C. claim D. esteem
11. I wonder what your aim in life is.
A. symbol B. goal C. action D. attitude
12. The father was unwilling to give his son the keys to his car.
A. reluctant B. eager C. pleased D. angry
13. The investigation covers an extremely broad spectrum of topics.
A. number B. gap C. range D. selection
14. The duty of a soldier is to defend his country.
A. resist B. assure C. guard D. contribute
15. He has a red spot on his gown.
A. stain B. belt C. pot D. defect
16. You always follow your own inclinations instead of thinking of our feelings.
A. conducts B. profits C. occupations D. dispositions
17. Many teachers don't like to use up-to-date textbooks in their classes.
A. odd B. modern C. old D. interesting
18. These figures do not take into account the changes that have taken place in recent years.
A. consider B. call C. catch D. cancel
19. I have no alternative but to report him to the local police.
A. opinion B. means C. choice D. selection
20. We all know that Sharon is a woman of strong political convictions.
A. suggestions B. beliefs C. statements D. claims
Friends play an important part in our lives, and although we may take the fact of friendship for granted, we often don't clearly understand how we make friends. While we get on well with a number of people, we are usually friends with only a very few -- for example, the average among students is about 6 per person.
Moreover, a great many relationships come under the general term friendship. In all cases, two people like one another and enjoy being together, but beyond that, the degree of closeness between them and the reasons for their common interest vary greatly.
At first, much depends on how people meet, and on favorable first impressions. As we get to know people, we take into account things like age, race, physical attractiveness, economic and social status, and intelligence. Although these factors are not of chief importance, it is more difficult to relate to people when there is a noticeable difference in age and background.
1/7 1 2 3 4 5 6 下一页 尾页