1. The employer ___________ the letter to his secretary, who wrote it down in shorthand.
A. dictated B. examined C. copied D. imitated
2. The colors of that coat and hat don't __________.
A. suit B. mix C. match D. imitate
3. I desperately ____________ with him to leave the ship before it was too late, fearing that he would go down with it.
A. appealed B. begged C. claimed D. pleaded
4. She studies many magazines and books about fashion, entertaining and correct social behavior as she wants to appear _________.
A. fashionable B. sophisticated C. elegant D. artificial
5. This contract was __________ for three months.
A. available B. effect C. forceful D. good
6. ___________ for power, the general conceived a plan to overthrow the government.
A. Desirous B. Keen C. Envious D. Greedy
7. It's time you cleaned ________ the drawers of your desk.
A. up B. down C. out D. off
8. I should think twice before I _________ such a hazardous project as that.
A. drew on B. embarked on C. brooded over D. figured out
9. A new system of quality control was ___________ to overcome the defects in the firm's products.
A. installed B. introduced C. inserted D. invested
10. Nature had _________ her with beauty and intelligence.
A. equipped B. entitled C. endowed D. engaged
11. She gave up her job to look after her invalid mother.
A. quitted B. lost C. paused D. retired
12. I can't make it because of a previous engagement.
A. primary B. prior C. temporal D. primitive
13. Her figure was slender and graceful, her features good.
A. feeble B. lovely C. beautiful D. pleasant
14. A whale shark's body is stout but streamlined, like that of a whale.
A. tough B. brightly spotted C. striped D. smoothly shaped
15. I hope you have left none of your belongings in the hotel.
A. documents B. possessions C. children D. clothes
16. I could recognize the old car at a glance.
A. square B. feature C. flame D. glimpse
17. What influenced you to do it
A. affirmed B. affects C. invited D. interested
18. Japan made a proposal to Korea for increasing trade between two countries.
A. preparation B. exception C. suggestion D. companion
19. After the preliminary exercises of prayer and song, the speaker of the day gave an address.
A. preparatory B. religious C. sympathetic D. thorough
20. She was alone, so she opened the door warily, leaving the chain lock fastened.
A. quietly B. hesitantly C. cautiously D. slowly
What's in an Indian Name
In the world in which we live today, a man may be one thing but appear to be another. This was impossible in Indian society. An Indian's name told the world what he was -- a coward, a liar, a thief, or a brave.
When I was young, every Indian had at least three names during his lifetime. His first name was given to him at birth. It described something that had happened at that time.
Each Indian was supposed to keep his birth name until he was old enough to earn one for himself. But his friends would always give him a name of their own. No matter what his parents called him, his childhood friends would use the name they had chose.
1/7 1 2 3 4 5 6 下一页 尾页