Some companies in China use company stamps, which are basically the equivalent of postage meters in the West, except that they are more personalized for each company. Western companies depend on letterheads to identify their envelopes and correspondence.
1. I would like to buy some stamps, please. 我想买些邮票。
2. I want to send this letter to China, by air mail. 我想把这封信航空邮到中国。
3. I would like to mail this package. 我想把这包裹给寄了。
4. How many stamps do I need? 我需要多少邮票？
5. How long will this letter take to get there? 这封信需要多长时间到那儿？
6. Can you weigh this for me? 你能帮我称称这（包裹）吗？
7. I would like to send this by registered mail, please. 我想把这封信挂号寄出。
8. How much do stamps cost? 邮票多少钱？
9. How much does it weigh? 它多重？
10. Where can I pick up my package? 我在那儿领取包裹？
So you have to send something using the postal service, do you? Do like Sandra did, and use Modern English to talk to the postal clerk!
Need to mail anything?
See how to communicate your needs!
Many Western companies use postage meters for convenience. Cost per letter is the same as using postage stamps, but you only need to go to the Post Office once in a while. You pay for the mail you've sent, and the Post Office resets your meter.
What: Dealing with the mail system
Who: Do you want to mail anything?
Where: At the Post Office, naturally
When: You're sending something by mail
Why: So you can find out how much, how fast
Sandra goes to the Post Office to buy stamps for the letter she has just written. It's really not so different from what she is used to back home!
Clerk: Good afternoon, Miss. How can I help you?
Sandra: Hi, I would like to buy some stamps, please.
Clerk: Sure thing! What are you sending?
Sandra: I want to send this letter to China, by air mail. Can you tell me how many stamps I need?
Clerk: (takes the letter and weighs it) That will be $2.10.
Sandra: (gives the money) How long will this letter take to get there?
Clerk: About a week. If you'd like faster service, it will cost you more.
Sandra: No, a week is fine this time. How fast could a letter get there if I was in a rush?
Clerk: You could get express delivery, but that's much more expensive, and still takes about 3 days.
Sandra: I see. Well, thanks for your time.
Clerk: No trouble. Have a good day.