Part I Listening Comprehension (15%) (20 minutes)
Directions: In this section, you will hear 10 short conversations. At the end of each conversation, a question will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and the question will be spoken twice. After each question there will be a pause. During the pause you must read the four choices marked A), B), C) and D), and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Example: You will hear:
You will read:
A) At the office.
B) In the waiting room.
C) At the airport.
D) In a restaurant.
From the conversation we know that the two were talking about some work they had to finish in the evening. This is most likely to have taken place at the office. Therefore, A) "At the office" is the best answer. You should choose [A] on the Answer Sheet and mark it with a single line through the center.
1. A) They are good friends. C) They met each other before.
B) They both are interested in art. D) They both are interested in India.
2. A) In a drugstore. B) At a bookstore. C) In the library. D) At the post office.
3. A) 6:30. B) 7:00. C) 7:30. D) 8:00.
4. A) Policeman and thief. C) Policeman and driver.
B) Doctor and patient. D) Teacher and student.
5. A) He is studying a hot major. C) He is confident about it.
B) He is as scared as the woman. D) He is offered many job openings.
6. A) 100. B) 85. C) 50. D) 15.
7. A) She didn't want to write her report. C) She didn't want to talk about the concert.
B) She didn't like the concert. D) She was busy writing her report.
8. A) Susan. B) Linda. C) Anne. D) Angela.
9. A) A healthy way of life. C) Whether they should move to Africa.
B) A marvelous book on wildlife. D) Whether they once lived in the same city.
10. A) No one was killed in a train accident.
B) A plane crash killed more than 300 people.
C) Over 300 people died in a train accident.
D) Over 300 people were injured in a train crash.
Directions: In this section, you will hear a short passage. At the end of the passage, you will
hear two questions. Both the passage and the questions will be spoken twice.
After you hear one question, you must choose the best answer from the four
choices marked A), B), C) and D). Then mark the corresponding letter on the
Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Questions 11 to 12 are based on the passage you have just heard.
11. A) The speaker. B) Lisa. C) The parents. D) Neil.