run out of: use up or finish a supply of (sth.)
- To our disappointment, our car ran out of gas halfway home.
- When they ran out of food, the soldiers set about hunting for more.
in amazement: with a feeling of great surprise or disbelief
- Aunt Sophia gazed at her picture in amazement: she looked like a teenage girl in it.
- 当他大声地与他的朋友交谈时，报告厅里所有的人都吃惊地盯着他看。(All the people in the lecture hall stared at him in amazement when he talked loudly with his friend.)
accumulate a huge mass of data 积累大量资料
accumulate experience 积累经验
accumulate a fortune 积攒一笔财富
accumulate a good library 积聚一大批藏书
CF: accumulate & amass
- Through the years he accumulated sufficient money to buy a farm when he retired. (经过多年积攒，他有了足够的钱在退休时买下一个农场。)
- He soon amassed sufficient evidence to support his case. (他不久便收集到足够的证据来为他的案子辩护。)
1) stop working
- The elevators in this building are always breaking down.
- Talks between the two countries broke down when the two sides failed to reach an agreement.
3) destroy; reduce or be reduced to pieces
- They broke the door down.
break away 逃走，逃脱
break in 闯入，强行进入；打断；插嘴
break into 闯入，强行进入
break out 逃脱，逃出；突然发生，爆发
break through 突破
break up 打碎；结束；解散；（学校）开始放假