Part II Listening Comprehension (30 minutes)
Directions In this section, you will hear two long conversations. At the end of each conversation, you will hear some questions. Both the conversation and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear a question, you must choose the best answer from the four choices marked A), B), C) and D). Then mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet 1with a single line through the centre.
Questions 1 to 4 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
1. A) He invented the refrigerator. C) He was admitted to a university.
B) He patented his first invention. D) He got a degree in Mathematics.
2. A) He started to work on refrigeration.
B) He became a professor of Mathematics.
C) He fell in love with Natasha Willoughby.
D) He distinguished himself in low temperature physics.
3. A) Discovering the true nature of subatomic particles.
B) Their explanation of the laws of cause and effect.
C) Their work on very high frequency radio waves.
D) Laying the foundations of modern mathematics.
4. A) To have a three-week holiday. C) To patent his inventions.
B) To spend his remaining years. D) To teach at a university.
Questions 5 to 8 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
5. A) The injury of some students.
B) A school bus crash on the way.
C) The collapse of a school building.
D) A fire that broke out on a school campus.
6. A) Teaching. C) Having lunch.
B) On vacation. D) Holding a meeting.
7. A) A malfunctioning stove. C) Violation of traffic rules.
B) Cigarettes butts left by workers. D) Negligence in school maintenance.
8. A) Sent a story to the local newspaper.
B) Threw a small Thanksgiving party.
C) Baked some cookies as a present.
D) Wrote a personal letter of thanks.
Directions In this section, you will hear two passages. At the end of each passage, you will hear some questions. Both the passage and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear a question, you must choose the best answer from the four choices marked A), B), C) and D). Then mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet 1 with a single line through the centre.
Questions 9 to 11 are based on the passage you have just heard.
9. A) It is a trait of a generous character. C) It is an indicator of high intelligence.
B) It is a reflection of self-esteem. D) It is a sign of happiness and confidence.
10. A) It was self-defeating. C) It was the essence of comedy.
B) It was aggressive. D) It was something admirable.
11. A) It is a double-edged sword. C) It is a unique gift of human beings.
B) It is a feature of a given culture. D) It is a result of both nature and nurture.
Questions 12 to 15 are based on the passage you have just heard.
12. A) She is a tourist guide. C) She is a domestic servant.
B) She is an interpreter. D) She is from the royal family.
13. A) It is situated at the foot of a beautiful mountain.
B) It was used by the family to hold dinner parties.